Privilege Speech by Councilor Louie John Bonguyan on RA 8972 delivered on the Davao City Coucil Session on September 20, 2010.
Implementation and Information Campaign
for RA 8972 known as the Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000
Senator Loren Legarda has filed Senate Bill No. 1429 entitled “Solo Parents Welfare Act of 2010.” According to SB 1429, a “solo parent” is a parent who is solely responsible for parenthood of a child or children due to his or her spouse’s death, imprisonment, mental incapacity, or legal separation. Women who got pregnant due to sexual abused are also considered as “solo parents.” SB 1429 grants qualified solo or single parents to benefits such as:
1. Ten percent (10%) discount from all purchases of clothing and clothing materials for the child from birth up to two years;
2. Fifteen (15%) discount from all purchases of baby’s milk, food and food supplements;
3. Fifteen (15%) percent discount from all purchases of medicines and other medical supplements/supplies for the child; and
4. Basic personal exemption from individual income tax.
While SB 1429 is still pending in the Senate, we already have Republic Act No. 8972 known as the “Solo Parents’ Welfare Act of 2000” and entitled as “An Act Providing for Benefits and Privileges to Solo Parents and their Children, Appropriating Funds Therefor and for Other Purposes.”
Read the rest of this entry »
Approval of the following Resolutions filed by Second District City Councilor Louie John Bonguyan as Chairperson of the Committee on Cooperatives Development and People’s Participation:
- 666. Application for the renewal of the accreditation of the El Grande Multi-Purpose Cooperative with the City Government of Davao, pursuant to the provisions of RA 7160.
- 667. Application for the accreditation of the Kilusang Magkaibigan Multi-Purpose Cooperative with the City Government of Davao, pursuant to the provisions of RA 7160.
- 669. Application for the accreditation of the Smoke Fish Vendors Livelihood Association with the City Government of Davao, pursuant to the provisions of RA 7160.
- 670. Application for the accreditation of the St. Jude Women’s Association with the City Government of Davao, pursuant to the provisions of RA 7160.
Second District Councilor Danilo Dayanghirang has replaced Councilor Bonifacio Militar as Council Floor Leader. Meanwhile, Third District Councilor Myrna Dalodo-Ortiz is now Assistant Floor Leader.
Dayanghirang will vacate the chairmanship of the City Council Committee on Peace and Public Safety.
January 15, 2008}
In June 7, 2007 a popular chain of supermarkets launched the campaign in Metro Manila aimed towards encouraging shoppers to use reusable bags when buying groceries. The campaign consisted of distributed reusable cloth bags that their shoppers can use when they shop. The campaign has earned praise and recommendation from various sectors for its simple but sustainable effort in reducing the amount of plastic bags used in shopping. Some of the participating supermarkets even charge a fee for their plastic bags to encourage their shoppers to use the reusable bags. The chain of supermarkets is only one of the handful establishments in Metro Manila to have this kind of campaign. Some local bag makers have even designed and sell their own reusable shopping bags that have become a fad among shoppers in Metro Manila. The chain’s Davao City branch is also part of the campaign and is also distributing reusable bags to local shoppers.
A Manila Times’ Special Report declares that “Nobody cares for the elderly anymore.” The report asks:
How can the senior citizens of the Philippines be a pitiful lot, when there is an Expanded Senior Citizens Act?
It asserts that changed moral values is the main culprit for problems faced by the Filipino elderly. Businesses see the Expanded Senior Citizens Act as being bad for business.
Read here for more on the special report.
Councilor Bonguyan’s Program of Government as stated in his campaign materials:
To upgrade and sustain the local government’s socio-economic, social and political plans and programs in order to uplift the living condition of the Dabaweños. Particularly, I will focus on the following areas of concern:
Sunstar Davao has cited the plan of Councilors Bonguyan, Bellor and Mata-Marañon to institutionalize, via legislation, the “Bayanihan” System.
Councilors Karlo Bello, Louie John Bonguyan, and Teresita Mata-Marañon are set to jointly propose legislative measures encouraging and institutionalizing the “bayanihan system” in Davao City.
Read the rest of the article here.